Welcome to Mennonite Heritage Tours!
Mennonite Heritage Tours is a Dutch Mennonite travel organization, focusing on the Anabaptist and Mennonite heritage in Europe. Mennonite Heritage Tours is specialized in small group traveling (2-16 participants) for Mennonites and anybody interested in the Mennonite and Anabaptist History. The tour groups are small, so there is plenty opportunity to customize the tour itinerary and visit places of special interest to you, e.g. places related to your forbears.
Your host and tour guide on all tours is Ayold Fanoy, a Mennonite from The Netherlands. Ayold is a Mennonite theologian and certified tour guide. He has led over 20 tours in the past years. Read more...
Mennonite Heritage Tours is supported by various people from the Mennonite World. At the References page you find contact details of persons gladly willing to give you a credential.
Tours for Summer 2016:
- Holland and Germany. Keukenhof Tour with Dutch Flower bulbs (Tulips, daffodils and many more), April 21 - May 3 2016, 13 days. Price: 2075 euro. English spoken tour. Springtime is the season when the Dutch bulb flowers are at its best. All colors of the rainbow can be seen at the Keukenhof, the Dutch bulb flower exhibition center. We visit the blossoming Dutch bulb fields, combined with many sites of Mennonite interest. Included are Menno Simons' place of birth in Pingjum, his monument in Witmarsum, Friesland and the Mennokate, the house where Menno printed his books at the end of his life. Our itinerary brings us to cities like Amsterdam (Anne Frank house, Rijksmuseum), Haarlem (Corrie ten Boom museum), Harlingen, Groningen, Emden, Hamburg Altona, Detmold and Münster. Read more...
- Switzerland and Israël, May 9-23 2016, 14 days. English spoken tour in cooperation with Henry Yoder from Idaho, USA. This tour starts in Switzerland to explore the Anabaptist related sites in Zürich, Emmental and the Jura region. The second part of the tour takes place in Israël to visit the biblical places of the Old and New Testament. Read more...
- Berlin and Poland, June 18-30 2016, 13 days. Price: 1895 euro. English spoken tour with a focus on the highlights of the Mennonite heritage in former Prussia, especially in the Gdansk area, as we follow the Vistula river from Krakau to the Vistula Delta near Gdansk. Tour features are Auschwitz Concentration Camp, the beautiful cities of Berlin, Krakow, Torun and Gdansk. The Reformation story will be told in Wittenberg, the hometown of Martin Luther. Read more...
- Holland and Belgium, July 11-22 2016, 12 days. English spoken tour in cooperation with Paul Toews, retired Professor of Mennonite History at the Fresno Pacific University, California. This Tour gives you an overall knowledge of the Mennonite beginnings in Holland and Belgium with visits of Menno Simons' place of birth in Pingjum and his monument in Witmarsum, Friesland. Other features of this tour are the pond of Dirk Willems and the great cities of Amsterdam, Haarlem, Bruges and Ghent. Read more...
- Holland, Germany and Switzerland - The Grand Tour of Mennonitism and Anabaptism, August 2-17 2016, 16 days. Price: 2445 euro. English spoken tour with a strong focus on the 16th century origin and early history of the Anabaptist and Mennonite movement in Germany, Switzerland and The Netherlands. The cities of Worms, Strasbourg, Bern, Zurich, Münster and Amsterdam will be visited. A homestay in Detmold with Mennonites from the former Soviet Union will bring you new friendships. The free day in the Swiss Alps will be a highlight of your tour. Read more...
- The early Mennonite beginnings in South Germany, Austria and Czech Republic (Hutterites), September 3-16 2016, 14 days. Price 1850 euro. The only Dutch spoken tour for 2016. This tour follows the footsteps of the first Anabaptists in South Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We visit Augsburg, home of the 1527 so called 'Martyrs Synod', Tirol, where around 1540 Jacob Hutter started the Hutterite branch of the Anabaptists. The Hutterite sites are still traceable in the Czech Republic and Hungary. Cities like Augsburg, Innsbruck, Vienna and Prague are on the itinerary. Read more...
A Mennonite Heritage Tour to Ukraine will be organized in 2017 again.
Departure Point and Flights
Starting point of all Tours is Europe, for example Amsterdam, Frankfurt or Berlin, depending on the tour. This means that you have to book your own flight from the United States or Canada to Europe and back. And since you book your own flight you are free to extend your stay in Europe to visit long-time-no-see-relatives or cities you always wanted to explore!
The price of a return ticket from America or Canada to Europe costs about $750-1500, depending on how far in advance you make your booking.
There are many websites to help you booking your flight through the internet (see below). But always check your Travel Agent as well. Sometimes they can offer you a flight at the same price or lower as the booking sites do.
- www.kayak.com. This booking site compares hundreds of travel sites.
Some tours have a different departure and finishing point, so you possibly need two different flights instead of one round trip. Booking websites offer this service by choosing 'multiple destinations' or 'multy city' instead of 'round trip'. If you need assistance booking your flight, please contact Ayold Fanoy at ue [tnup] sruotegatirehetinonnem [po] ofni. He would be happy to assist you.
Visas and Passports
US and Canadian citizens do not need visas to visit The Netherlands, Germany, Poland, France, Switzerland or Ukraine, if you stay not longer then 90 days. Passports should be valid for at least another four months from the planned date of departure of these countries.
Lodging in middle class tourist hotels, always comfortable bedrooms with own bathroom. The hotels are as much as possible located in the city center. This gives you the opportunity to spend your evenings in some of the most beautiful cities of Europe.
For our Tour transport we use an air-conditioned 9 person Passenger Van.